Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa thanked South Korean Foreign Minister Park Jin for evacuating Japanese from Israel using South Korea’s military transport plane in a phone call Sunday, the Foreign Ministry in Seoul said in a statement.
On board the plane, which landed at Seoul Air Base late Saturday from Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion International Airport, were 163 South Koreans, 51 Japanese and six Singaporeans. Medical staff along with a team handling emergency responses were also aboard.
“The Japanese government will actively seek to lend support to South Korea should similar situations unfold,” the statement read, noting that the Japanese top diplomat proposed continued cooperation. The two ministers, the statement added, agreed to work together on protecting the lives of South Koreans and Japanese as well as their safety as geopolitical crises take place.
No South Korean fatalities or casualties have so far been reported since the militant Palestinian group Hamas’ surprise, multipronged attack on Israel two weeks ago.
- [Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance
- ASEAN filmmakers' works to be screened in Busan
- Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- 'Sweet Home 2' returns with new characters, sophisticated monsters
- Ilyon Woo's nonfiction lands on NYT's 10 best books of 2023
- 尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- 장예찬 "이상민 탈당에 깊이 공감…민주당 고쳐쓰기 불가능"